I’ve updated the subdir-mu-plugins Plugin to behave a little bit more like WordPress’s plugins and a little less like WordPress MU’s plugins. The latest version (0.42.2) can be found here.
Here’s a little background:
WordPress single instance will only load files that have the “Plugin Name:” directive. This is partly related to the fact that WordPress supports disabling plugins through a user interface. WordPressMU supports this feature as well for the plugins placed in the “wp-content/plugins” directory. But these plugins are enabled and disabled on a blog by blog basis. For those plugins in “wp-conten/mu-plugins” it will load all PHP files. So for example, if a plugin has extra support PHP files that aren’t safe to load all the time (but can be loaded at the right time by the plugin for example) these types of plugins don’t work well in WordPressMU.
My original version of this subdirectory plugin was intended to mimic the original WordPressMU behavior of loading all php files. Well, this seemed like a good idea at the time, but really the point of this plugin was to allow you to use more WordPress (non-MU) designed plugins… those that lived in subdirectories. And well, many of those plugins also depend on WordPress’s behavior of not loading PHP files that don’t contain the “Plugin Name:” directive. So I’ve decided this original behavior wasn’t the best idea.
The new version will scan subdirectories and attempt to read the plugin-info from all PHP files and only load those PHP files who have a “Plugin Name” directive.
I’ve now changed the behavior of this subdirectory loading plugin to behave a little more like WordPress. Namely it will only load files from subdirectories that have a “Plugin Name” directive.